Thursday, February 10, 2011

My "sacrificial praise" Harper Kate's birthmark

In Bible study, on Monday, we studied Jonah's prayer in the second chapter, and there came to a portion of the study that talked about sacrificial praise and thanksgiving. I had done my weekly homework and completed that section the night before. One of the questions asked was "In your life today, what is your sacrificial praise?" I have to say, I thought about the question and I could not come up with anything. This past week I noticed that my sweet little girl Harper has a tiny strawberry birthmark on her left cheek. Not a big deal, right? Well, it should not be, but for those of you who do not know I had a strawbery birthmark on the left side of my face as well...
That is me, around 6 weeks of age. A strawbery birthmark, hemangioma on the left side of my face.
Ok, could not get the picture turned, I will work on this. This is after wearing my burn compression mask a while.
And this was after the first of many surgeries.

Before I had children I remember telling God that I would just die if my child had any birthmark on their face. When I had my first son, Hagen I used to stand over his bed and pray that a birthmark would not appear. My birthmark showed up about a week after I was born as a slight bruise and then progressed as a rash and by six weeks it was full blown. I prayed for that same thing with Cooper, specifically. However, with Harper I just prayed that she would be healthy. I never even thought about a birthmark, even though not genetic they are shown to be more prevalant in girls. I don't know why this never crossed my mind, maybe it was God changing my heart. Last week I noticed that the "scratch" Harper had on her face, had been there about two weeks and never changed size. I took a closer look and I realized that it was not a scratch it was a birthmark. I immediately called my mother, and she assured me it would be ok. The mark is only about the size of a grain of rice and it is on the left side of her face as well.

On Monday, I was driving Hagen to school and thinking about Harper's birthmark and I just started crying and thanking God that my daughter's birthmark was so small. I also, for the first time in my life, started graciously thanking him for mine. I could finally after 30 years see the plan he had. If I would not have had this experience, I would not be the person I am today, I would most likely not have been a nurse, not be put in the path to meet my husband and not had the beautiful family and life I have today. I spent many years, "asking God why"! Yes, I can admit that I did not understand? I believe it is ok to ask God why, he just may not reveal the answers on our timeline. I can not describe the thankfulness that filled my heart that morning. During bible study that same day, it was explained that the "sacrifice of praise" is when we are thankful for something, while maybe still being sad. Ie: the loss of a loved one that was suffering, the loss of a job we enjoyed, the move from a place of comfort. It dawned on me at that moment that this was my "sacrificial praise". I am by no means thrilled that Harper had that mark on her face, but I am so thankful because I know first hand what it could have been. I shared my experience with the ladies in the study, many of them who have known me since birth, sobbing the whole time. I leave you with this verse from our study this week, "Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is the fruit of lips that give thanks to His name." Hebrews 13:15

2 comments:

  1. HI, Leslie shared with me this story on your blog and I just wanted you to know the tears are forming as I read and want you to know how beautiful this story is.
    I am JoJo, Leslie's grandmother and have met you several times at her house.
    thanks for sharing this story and praising God through your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney,

    Thank you for sharing your journey. Our faithful, trusting Lord really does sustain, encourage, love and carry us through those unbearable, most challenging and difficult times. I am encouraged by your steadfast faith in Him. You are beautiful woman, Courtney (BEAUTIFUL both outside and in)....and so very blessed.

    xx

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete