Thursday, March 24, 2011

Cooper's Collision

Well T-Ball season is fast approaching, and Hagen is in full practice mode here at the Tijerina residence. On Monday, after Erik got off work, he and Hagen headed to Hibbett's to buy a new baseball bat, apparently we had misplaced the old one. Hagen had been looking forward to this the whole day. My dad had actually came by our house early that morning, before Hagen had left for school and that was all he could talk to his Pops about. When the boys returned from the sporting store, they both had new bats and Cooper had a new pair of tennis shoes. Erik tends to feel sorry for Cooper at times, him being the middle child and the large number of hand me downs I make him wear. If I am not there to monitor the shopping excursions things get a little out of control, especially at the sporting good store. Ha! Like I have any room to talk, you should see Harper Kate's closet.

That evening we had supper started, Erik was cooking on the grill and Hagen was, in his words "knocking the fire out of the ball", aka. hitting off the tee. I had decided to run down the street and drop off my friends Matilda Jane order, that she had placed at my trunk show. Oh my! when I returned I found the neighbor boy hiding in the ditch, and Erik in the garage yelling at me "to get out of the car". He was holding poor Cooper who had a large cut above his left eyebrow and blood running down his head. So calmly I got out and proceeded to ask what happened. My first question was "Did I run over him"? Those of you who know my driving skills that is a very reasonable question, but I knew I had watched when I backed out. "NO! Hagen hit him in the head with the bat". Apparently, Cooper had walked up behind Hagen while he was batting, and wham. I do have to say that Hagen's swing has really improved since last season! Finally, after talking my frantic, (ex-paramedic, ex-ER nurse, nurse practitioner) husband down, we decided to go up to Erik's clinic and stitch him up. We dropped Hagen off next door at our WONDERFUL neighbors the Johnsons and Erik, Cooper, Harper and I headed to do a little surgery. May I add, I am so sad to loose the Johnson's as neighbors, they will be moving to Tyler this year, because "Mr. Tim" is the new Tyler Fire Chief!

We arrived at the clinic, wrapped Cooper in a sheet, kind of like a mummy, and I held him down while Erik sewed him up and Harper screamed in her carrier. Cooper handled it like a champ. I am so proud of him. He slept with us so we could watch him close, his eye is still terribly bruised with five stitches. Hopefully it will heal before our Easter pictures next Saturday.

That night after the stitches. I am sure you can understand why I do not have before pictures. His eye is much more bruised now.

The slugger.

The bat.

....and the next morning.




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment